Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I'm So Stylish ....

I just found the coolest Firefox extension. It allows you to control the style of any website that is loaded into your Firefox browser. The extension has a community website that users submit their own styles so that others can share. For example, I really love using Gmail but I think their look-and-feel could have been done by a 10 year old. I grabbed a really nice looking user submitted file and voila .... I have a very nice looking email interface.

The style control can be used for all sorts of things:
-Remove annoying ads
-Change color scheme
-Adjust usability of website

One nice option is if you know CSS (Cascading Style Sheets), you can modify the style yourself. I have downloaded the user styles that I liked the best and then tweaked the style to be more what I like. It is amazing what you can do with this extension and CSS. I modified the Google search results page to keep the search box and button at the top of the page as I scroll. Now I can have Google return 50 search items and still be able to easily adjust my search criteria without scrolling anywhere.

I've been using it for a week and I am in love. Check out the Stylish extension website at: http://www.userstyles.org/

2 comments:

Dustin Woodard said...

I've used that... it is pretty darn cool

Anonymous said...

That extension, coupled with Greasemonkey and Platypus, make the web so much better because you can customize the *@&#$!! out of anything. Firefox is da bomb!