Friday, July 20, 2007

Free PGP Software

At my day job, I deal with a lot of sensitive information. Sometimes I need to send files to someone or receive files from someone. My boss gets really nervous when I send social security numbers and salary information in clear text. So I found a free PGP application that lets me encrypt and decrypt these sensitive files. It doesn't have the cleanest interface, but it allows me to manage (add/delete/manage) my PGP keys, encrypt/decrypt, and sign files. I highly recommend this tool if you have any kind of sensitive data that you need to send across the public internet.

http://www.gpg4win.org

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find the whole PGP/GnuPG bit very awkward to use, at least on a Mac.

Funny, Phil Zimmermann invented this whole PGP encryption thing so many years ago and still, seems that no real progress has been made as far as user friendliness is concerned (compared to most applications).

Regards

Cody Schouten said...

I agree, the UI needs some help.